In the spirit of thankfulness and as we approach the full gale of the holiday season, here are some true heroes to keep in mind: family caregivers. Some astounding figures according to AARP (American Association of Retired Persons):
- 39.8 million Americans – 16.6 % of the population – are giving unpaid care to an adult.
- If provided by paid workers, this care would cost $470 billion annually.
- 18% of caregivers take care of two or more adults.
- 13% of caregivers are assisting a friend or neighbor.
- 2 million Americans care for their own adult children.
- 40% of caregivers are men.
- 7% of caregivers live more than two hours away from the person they help.
Just published for National Family Caregivers Month, November, 2015, here are some tips for respite: http://caregiveraction.org/national-family-caregivers-month. “Respite” is relief or rest for the caregiver. Giving a gift of respite to those who care for others is a wonderful way to show them they are appreciated and not forgotten.
Happy and Restful Holidays